- 6 eggs
- 500 g flour
- 150 ml water
- 2 onions
- 30 g butter
- 200 g grated, full-flavored hard cheese (e.g., Gruyère)
1. Stir eggs with flour and 1/2 tsp salt. While stirring vigorously, add only enough water until the dough bubbles and falls off the wooden spoon in rough strings (add a little more water to the dough for a spätzle ricer).
2. Season with some grated nutmeg. Let the spätzle dough rest for approx. 30 minutes.
3. Peel, halve, and cut the onions into slices. Add the onions and butter to the pan.
4. Place the pan on the Navigenio and heat on level 6 up to the roasting window, switch to level 2 and roast the onions until golden brown. Remove the pan from the Navigenio.
5. Boil plenty of water in a pot. Salt the water and stir. Working in batches, use a spätzle ricer to press the spätzle dough into or scrape it off a wooden board into boiling water. As soon as the spätzle floats to the top, remove and keep warm.
6. Pour the water out of the pot. Layer the spätzle, onions, and cheese in the pot, with onions and cheese used as the final layer.
7. Place the Navigenio overhead and switch to the high level, gratinate for approx. 6 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe has been tested and approved by AMC.