- 2 cups boiled rice
- 1/2 cup black gram dhal
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/2 ts sunflower oil
Steamed rice dumplings
1. Soak the boiled rice and split black gram separately for 4-5 hours. Adding a little water, grind the soaked gram into a smooth batter. Similarly, grind the rice. Mix the two batters, add salt and cover. Keep in a warm place to ferment for 8 hours, preferably over night.
2. To make the idli’s, grease the moulds of idli stand and pour a ladleful of batter into each of them.
3. Add 150 ml water in the pot and stack the racks in the pot. Set hob to highest level, switch on Audiotherm, enter approx. 6 minutes cooking time, fit it on Visiotherm and turn until the steam symbol appears.
4. As soon as the Audiotherm beeps on reaching the steam symbol, set hob to low Level and steam until done.
5. At the end of cooking time, take the stand out and cool a little before removing the idlis. Steam the remaining idlis in the same way. Serve hot with a chutney and sambar.
- Add ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds while soaking, helps to yield softer idlis.
This recipe has been tested and approved by AMC.