- 1/2 onion
- 20 g butter
- 30 g flour
- 250 ml milk
- salt, pepper
- 25 g grated cheese (e.g. Emmental)
- 40 g cured ham (e.g. Serrano ham)
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 400 ml oil for deep-frying
1. Peel and mince the onion. Add to the small pot and heat at highest level up to the roasting window, switch to a low level and sauté the onion.
2. Add the butter and let it melt before stirring in the flour with a whisk. Then pour in the milk while stirring. Cook until a creamy sauce forms. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the cheese and melt it into the sauce.
3. Pour the mixture into a small baking dish, such as the kind used for lasagna. Place plastic wrap that it touches the surface of the sauce directly to prevent a rubbery film from forming. Allow to rest in a cold fridge for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
4. Slice the ham into thin strips and stir into the cheese mixture. Form this mixture into 12 balls. Roll the balls in breadcrumbs, then in the whisked egg and then in the breadcrumbs once again.
5. Pour the oil into the pan and heat it at highest level up to the roasting window, switch to a low level and place the croquettes inside.
6. Deep-fry until ready to flip over. Flip the croquettes and finish deep-frying, uncovered, until they have reached the desired amount of browning.
- If you prefer croquettes without ham, increase the amount of cheese to 60 g.
This recipe has been tested and approved by AMC.